Sunday, January 18, 2009

I need a new Flying School

Yesterday's email:

To All,

I am very sad that I have to announce that Carp Flying Academy Inc. is
ceasing operations immediately due to a number of factors. Business and economic
factors as well as weather have all contributed to this very difficult
decision.

I want to thank everyone for their patronage over the last three
years.

I can be reached at jenny.putinski@gmail.com to answer any questions you
may have.

For the students, your PTR's will be still be available in the FBO during
weekday hours.

Thank you,
Jennifer E. Putinski



Drat. I liked flying with them. Jenny's husband used to coach one of my daughters in soccer. These are real people, who cared about their business and their customers. They had Christmas potluck dinners in the hangar. I never worried about the maintenance or safety of the aircraft, and they didn't pull any surprises on me.

But the short days (early sunset) in November, December and January precludes most people from flying after work. Anyone available to fly during the day is either not working or retired, which usually means "not flush with cash". And the weather this year in December has been brutal, with non-VFR conditions on many days and, most importantly, many weekends. In aviation the expenses continue even if the income doesn't. It's a business where fuel is the major variable expense and the one that decreases if you don't fly.... but debt costs, salary, insurance, rent etc all continue even if the birds are not flying and generating revenue.

To Jenny and all the people I met and flew with at CFA: Thank you. May you rebound elsewhere. Tailwinds and clear skies.

And I need to go find a new place to fly.

1 comment:

Tony Hunt said...

That's a real shame, they were a friendly operation and I liked dropping in to chat with them before going flying. I always wondered how well the business was doing with the new aircraft when the other local flying clubs had such tight margins running 30 year-old aircraft.

Check out OAS at CYOW - their two seat aircraft are similar to what CFA flew. If you consider switching to Cessnas, drop by Rockliffe. I know it is a bit of a hike but I found RFC to have the best instructing environment in the area.

If CFA is not flying, Carp will seem very lonely. After instructing at OFC and RFC the last two years, the Carp airport seems very quiet.