Saturday, September 02, 2006

No soaring this year

As you may have noticed, I have not posted anything this summer. That's because I have not been flying.

Turns out I've had limited time, and no weather when I have had time. And isn't it amazing that expenses seem to expand to consume all available income (the house really needed the new roof, the oldest car needed replacing, etc etc etc). But I still have permission.

Actually, the weather in Ottawa has not been too bad in the latter half of the summer, but weather and my availability never seemed to coincide.

The club I frequented last year has a mailing list, and so there are frequent emails (on weekdays) asking if there was an available tow pilot, someone wanted to play hookey from work, and off they went. While I was chained to a desk. Some days they went off gliding for a 7.5 hour flight, covering hundreds of km.

Soaring (gliding) wasn't working for me.

The skills for power pilot and glider pilot are similar and different. But power pilots can fly year-round, so maybe I should go the power route.

I need to do more than live vicariously through Aviatrix's blog.

There is a GA airport about 10km from where I live. There are two flying schools there. So Friday, after work, I dropped in on both of them.

No comments: