Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Inter-season lull

Ground school finished last week - I made 9 of the 10 sessions (which is simply amazing given how busy my calendar is at this time of year - lucky for me the sessions were on Mondays).

Some of the sessions were amazing, some were pretty dull - it was either the topic, the presenter, or both. And I did pass my radio operator's exam during the last session. Actually, the exam was frighteningly easy.

So now ground school is done, and we're not yet soaring because there are no thermals -- it's still too cold (we had snow this morning - yuck). However, we can go gliding. I should go do a bunch of flights anyway, since it's easier to practice precision flying (holding altitude, heading and speed) when rising air isn't bouncing you all over the sky.

And flying under tow, which I currently find to be one of the toughest parts of gliding, can be learned at this time as well.

And so that's why I have not been posting -- I'm in the inter-season lull. Which, for a blog, is the kiss of death. So more posts to come RSN (real soon now).

In the meantime, I bought my lottery tickets. Lotteries are a tax on the mathematically challenged, but one can always dream. Gliding lessons are much less expensive than powered flight, but still are not pocket change.

No comments: